Varicose Veins Prevention / Maintenance in Sandusky, OH
Once you develop varicose veins, there is nothing you can do to get rid of them at home. However, you can take measures to help lessen the pain and swelling associated with varicose veins. At-home measures are also an integral part of ensuring vein treatments are successful and long-term. Located in Bellevue and serving Sandusky, Fremont, and Norwalk, Ohio, the board-certified radiologists at Vein and Body Specialists offer effective methods for varicose vein prevention and maintenance. Our highly-skilled specialists are known for providing caring, courteous and expert service.
What Do I Need To Prevent And Maintain Varicose Veins?
More than half of adults will develop a venous disease at some point in their lifetime. Once they emerge, venous conditions are difficult to treat at home. In fact, there is no known way to get rid of varicose veins without professional intervention. Instead, we encourage you to be proactive about your vein health at the earliest signs of venous symptoms.
Being vigilant about at-home vein care may help to delay varicose veins from forming and can lessen the pain and swelling associated with varicose veins.
What Can I Do To Prevent And Maintain Varicose Veins?
At Vein and Body Specialists, we have several recommendations to make at-home varicose vein prevention and maintenance effective and worthwhile. These methods include:
- Maintain a healthy weight: Obesity is one of the largest contributing factors to vein disease. Maintaining a healthy and stable weight can help lessen the pain and swelling related to varicose veins.
- Eat a healthy diet: It seems almost all health conditions can be prevented somewhat by eating food high in nutrition. We recommend eating a low sodium diet and high in fiber for excellent vein health.
- Exercise regularly: Lack of exercise is a risk factor for developing vein disease, especially blood clots in varicose veins. Be sure to move your body every day and find an activity you enjoy and can do regularly. Even just walking for a half hour every day can significantly improve your chances for developing vein disease.
- Avoid sitting and standing for a long period of time: It’s common for people to sit and/or stand for prolonged periods in the workplace. Prolonged sitting can cause blood clots to form in varicose veins too. Setting a timer can help you remember to take “body breaks” in which you should move, stretch and walk (even in place) for a few minutes. Take a five-minute break every hour or a 10-minute break every two hours. Office yoga is also a wonderful option to avoid stagnancy.
- Compression stockings: We offer compression stockings for varicose vein symptom relief and maintenance before and after vein treatment. Compression stockings help to treat and prevent swelling while providing extra support for areas that may have extra pressure due to venous disease.
- Leg exercises: After an initial consultation, our board-certified radiologist can prescribe a series of very simple lower leg exercises based on your unique symptoms and needs for treatment. These exercise should be performed at home and on a daily basis for maximum effect.
Vein and Body Specialists understands that even slight venous symptoms can be troublesome and inconvenient. Residents of Bellevue, Sandusky, Fremont, Norwalk and the surrounding communities in Ohio can trust our board-certified radiologists to recommend the most effective varicose vein prevention and maintenance plan for you. No referral is needed. Contact us today for a consultation!