Varicose Vein Treatment in Sandusky, OH
More than half of the people over the age of 50 are affected by the common, and often embarrassing, condition of varicose veins. These veins can affect the appearance of your skin and even cause more serious complications if left unattended. The board-certified radiologists at Vein and Body Specialists have years of experience implementing varicose vein treatments for their clients in the Bellevue, Sandusky, Fremont and Norwalk, Ohio areas.
What Are Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins look like thick, bulgy veins that can be seen on the surface of the skin. Most commonly they are found on the legs, back of the calves, thighs, and inside of the leg. Sometimes they form during a pregnancy and will appear on the groin or buttocks areas.
What Causes Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins appear when the valves in the vein are weakened or damaged. This causes the blood to pool in the vein, which results in the bulging appearance.
What Are The Risk Factors For Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins are often genetic. It has been found that over half the people who have varicose veins have family members who also are affected by them. Family history is the number one identifying risk factor for this condition; however, there are also several other factors that can increase the likelihood that you may develop them:
- Age: The valves in your veins work hard. Over time they may naturally weaken as you grow older
- Pregnancy: Blood volume increases during pregnancy, which can cause veins to enlarge. Also, varicose veins can form when the expanding uterus of a woman puts pressure on the veins.
- Hormones: During puberty, pregnancy, and menopause your hormones fluctuate greatly and can contribute to the development of this condition.
- Obesity: Excess weight can increase the pressure on a person’s veins, which can weaken the valve and cause the condition
What Are The Symptoms Of Varicose Veins?
The most obvious sign of varicose veins are the bulging veins you can see on the surface of the skin. Other symptoms caused by varicose veins include:
- Aching pain
- The feeling of having full or heavy legs
- Skin discoloration
- Itching of skin of lower legs or over obvious varicose or spider veins
- Open area that is difficult to heal of lower leg (usually at the inside of the ankle)
Can Varicose Veins Pose A Risk To My Health?
The effect of varicose veins can vary from person to person. In some cases, they only pose as a cosmetic issue. Other people may experience pain or discomfort that can interfere with their day-to-day activities at work or at home. Unfortunately, varicose veins may also lead to much more serious medical complications, including:
- Bleeding: The skin over and around a varicose vein can thin over time and may be more prone to injuries that can cause a significant amount of external bleeding.
- Sores or ulcers: If left untreated, the pooling blood in a varicose vein may lead to the formation of sores or ulcers (usually at the inside of the ankle).
- Superficial Vein Thrombophlebitis: This condition occurs around a varicose vein in the form of a small blood clot just below the surface of the skin that can cause tenderness, swelling and pain (sometimes very painful).
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: This is a blood clot that forms deeper in the vein. It can cause pain, redness, and swelling. However, if the clot breaks free, it can travel through the body to the lungs and could be fatal. This is rare, but the main superficial vein of the leg, the Great Saphenous Vein, directly communicates with a deep vein called the Common Femoral Vein. Clot in the Great Saphenous Vein can travel into the Common Femoral Vein from the Great Saphenous Vein.
What Treatments Are Offered At The Vein And Body Specialists For Varicose Veins?
Our board-certified specialists are trained to treat varicose veins through a number of specialized treatment methods:
- Endovenous Laser Treatment (EVLT)
- Sclerotherapy (Non-Foam)
- ClariVein® (Non-Thermal Mechanico-Chemical) Treatment
How Much Does Varicose Vein Treatment Cost?
There is no one cost for varicose vein treatment, as the cost varies depending upon the type of therapy specified in your treatment plan. We will always ensure that you know the cost upfront and will work with you to determine a plan that is both affordable and effective.
We offer financing options such as deposits on accounts prior to treatment, CareCredit® and we accept credit cards (Master and Visa).
Vein and Body Specialists understands that relief from pain is often the primary concern for patients suffering with varicose veins in and around Bellevue, Sandusky, Fremont, Norwalk and the surrounding communities in Ohio. Our board-certified radiologists use cutting-edge diagnostic techniques to select the best treatment for your varicose veins to ensure that both aesthetic concerns and painful symptoms are addressed simultaneously, effectively and safely. No referral is needed. Contact us today for a consultation!